Friday, October 21, 2016

Feature Friday: The Lost & Found and 25

I've decided to start what I hope will become a weekly posting about the things that I'm enjoying at the moment. My goal is to feature one book and one song, artist, or album. I feel like I haven't been giving music enough attention on here. That's likely because I just completed my senior voice recital, so I've been a little music'd out. Anyway, here we go.

The Lost & Found, Katrina Leno

Photo from Harper Collins Publishers


The Lost & Found is a YA book that I randomly picked up from the recommended section of my hometown library because I thought it sounded kind of interesting. It's the story of two high schoolers people, Louis and Frances, who live on opposite coasts and become friends through an online support group for trauma survivors. They've been talking to each other basically every day for many years and apart from both having survived severe trauma, they discover that they both have a tendency to lose things. Or rather, things tend to disappear on them. They'll be there one minute and gone the next. A particular set of circumstances leads them to journey to Austin, Texas where one is on the hunt for a famous actor and the other is visiting a university.

The book is split into two parts. The first is called "Lost" and focuses on the losses they've suffered in their past as well as the little things they tend to lose day to day. The second is called "Found" and follows their journey to Austin and the things they mysteriously find on their way, both physically and emotionally.

I quite enjoyed this book. The way Leno intertwined Louis and Frances's stories through the different things they lost and then found throughout their journey was very interesting. It reminded me a bit of John Green's Paper Towns, which I'm a big fan of, but it was unique in it's own way. The characters felt very realistic to me and they spoke and interacted like I think most high schoolers do. But at the same time, they were flawed and dealt with some really serious topics such as death, anxiety, and self harm. It was definitely worth the read and there were some interesting twists along the way.

8/10 missing tennis rackets

25, Adele

I'm not trying to pretend that this is some kind of groundbreaking discovery, but as it's pretty much my first mention of music on the blog, so I think it's appropriate to mention Adele, since she's my all-time favorite artist. It's pretty likely that this is something I just made up in my head, but I feel like everyone has like a "soul artist." It's like a soulmate, but for music, and I truly believe mine is Adele. Call me lame, I don't care. So 25 came out last November, but I'm not over it. The album is literally constantly playing in my car and I truly never get sick of it. If you haven't listened to it yet, first of all you're wrong, second of all do it now.

Adele live in Denver, CO 7/16/16

My favorite tracks are (in no particular order):
"When We Were Young"
"Water Under the Bridge"
"All I Ask"
"Can't Let Go"
"Why Do You Love Me"
"Million Years Ago"

Yes, I realize that is basically half of the album. I can't choose a favorite, and you can't make me. Sorry not sorry. She just tells such beautiful stories with her music and it fills my soul up to listen to it. It sometimes also breaks my heart a little, but only in the best way. 

10/10 would recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment